€15,00In StockIn StockOut of stock
Curator: Paola Strada
Pages: 224 p.
Description: The Pinacoteca di Brera, initially conceived as a collection for the training of young artists from the Academy of Fine Arts, was actually founded at the behest of the Napoleonic government as a Real Gallery on the model of the nascent national museums, including the Louvre. Inaugurated in 1809, numerous masterpieces flowed into it in a short time, in particular works by Venetian and Lombard artists of the 15th to 18th centuries, coming from conventual churches suppressed or confiscated in the territories gradually conquered by the Napoleonic army. Over the years the museum's collections have been enriched, also thanks to numerous donations, so much so that today the museum is one of the most important in Italy for the quantity and quality of the works on display, ranging from the Middle Ages to the twentieth century. Among the most important works are masterpieces such as “Pala Montefeltro” by Piero della Francesca, “The Marriage of the Virgin” by Raphael, the “Dead Christ” by Andrea Mantegna and “Supper at Emmaus” by Caravaggio.